This Fall we will be celebrating our 75th anniversary as a church. We have many things planned for the Fall. During the summer we will be running some personal biographies from old midweeks as part of our preparation for the Fall.
Here are some interesting facts about the church. For those of you who are new to the church we changed our name from Hartville Mennonite Church to Evermore Community Church in 2015.
In October 1939 regular weekly week-night meetings were begun in Hartville.
The first meetings of what became Hartville Mennonite Church was held in the Goetz and Keller Hall in Hartville (old Acme building).
Over the years there was growing pressure to establish a place of worship in Hartville. It seems that the major problem was a polarization between the “city people and the country hicks”.
The new Hartville Mennonite Church had 49 charter members.
The official organization of the church took place on December 10, 1944. O.N. Johns was in charge of the service.
March 25 to April 1, 1945 were the first evangelistic meetings. Henry Wyse from Archbold, Ohio was the evangelist.
First communion was held on April 1, 1945.
Five acres of land was purchased on Smith Kramer Road during the summer of 1945.
The first wedding took place on December 31, 1945 when Viola Zook married Glen Spicher of Belleville, PA.
In June 1952 a 40’ by 90’ sanctuary with a 40’ by 30’ wing was completed. The actual cost was 38,000.
Due to the growth in the children’s department the church built a two-story educational building. They started in June 1959 and completed it in April 1961. It cost the church 25,000.
The membership in 1960 was 307, with an average Sunday School attendance of 351.
In February 1951 the first Sunday evening of every month was a community hymn sing. It was filled to capacity every night.
A new sanctuary was added in 1995-1996.
A 50th anniversary celebration was held on October 14-16, 1994.
I love to tell the story will be the theme for the Fall. May God be praised as we look back and see His Hand at work.