It’s time for us to slow down. Time to take a break. Remember to just breathe. Rest for a moment. Refresh your thoughts. Renew your routine. We know we need to make the time to do those things. It all sounds so nice. But it’s those little things that we dismiss. We put them off, push them aside, and say we will do it later. But the time is now.
It’s not another thing to add to your daily to-do list. It’s a way of life. It’s a state of mind. It’s a habit to be formed. It becomes part of who you are.
Rest. Refresh. Renew.
Give yourself a moment to decide what those words mean to you.
Not mindlessly scrolling through your phone, or watching television. Resting not only your mind and body, but your heart and soul. That form of rest can only be found with the Father. That form of refreshment by entering into His presence. That form of renewal from inviting Him into your day.
Invite Him in. Not just for a half hour of your morning or evening. Not just to check it off your to-do list. Time with Jesus...check. Invite Him into your all day, every day. Taking just a moment in each hour to say a sentence prayer: “Jesus, be near”, “Fill me with more of You”, “I give everyone and everything to You".
Those moments of pausing will shift your focus. They will shift your heart. You’ll find rest. You’ll feel refreshed. Your soul will be renewed. All the weight of the world will be lifted in one sentence.
Below are seven verses for you to read through and maybe choose one to focus on each day of your week. Or just focus on Him. Find your own words.
Remember the only source. Turn to Him. The things of this world will only leave you weary, burdened and weighed down.
- Isaiah 40:30-31 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint.
- Ephesians 4:22-24 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
- Romans 12:2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
- Psalm 51:10-12 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
- 2 Corinthians 4:16 Therefore, we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
- Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- Jeremiah 31:25 I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint.
*If you’re a person who likes to use apps: I highly recommend the One Minute Pause by John Eldredge. You can set up reminders throughout your day to pause for anywhere from 1-10 minutes.